Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ten from the Top Tens


Top ten lists are as ubiquitous this time of year as unfortunate santa hats, sparkly trees, or candycane hangovers. So I've been pouring over the top-ten lists for art books, illustrated books, and so forth lately, for instance such as these on: Flavorwire, Oprah.com, Huffington Post, and Brainpickings (regular readers of this blog may, if they peruse those four lists carefully, discern a common theme that drew my attention to them in the first place), plus many others in all kinds of fine publications, both print and online.


And I now feel ready to present you my personal picks for the top ten books that a) keep popping up on these lists the most, and b) I'm most excited about. This is an entirety unscientific, statistically inaccurate, personal, visceral list--I haven't by any means read all the lists out there, I haven't tabulated anything, hell, I haven't read most of these books (yet)--these are just the books that have started to percolate up in my brain as seeming important and wonderful this holiday season:

At top, Woolgathering by Patti Smith.
Above, Radioactive: Marie and Pierre Curie by Lauren Redniss


I Wonder by Marian Bantjes


High Line by Joshua David and Robert Hammond


Food Rules by Michale Pollan, illustrated by Maira Kalman


Yes, it's my very own Pantone: The 20th Century in Color by Leatrice Eiseman and Keith Recker


Chicks with Guns by Lindsay McCrum


Missed Connections by Sophie Blackall


Moby Dick in Pictures by Matt Kish


Maps by Paula Scher

No comments:

Post a Comment