Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Mini-Sabbatical 2019


In 2016 I took a three-month-long sabbatical from my job as art book editor at Chronicle Books. It was one of the best and most formative experiences of my adult life. Each year since then I've taken the last week of August off as a mini-sabbatical -- a "staycation" where I work on my own writing and drawing projects, enjoy my city, relax a bit, and so forth. Last week was this year's. I did work on writing and art-making projects at Open Studio, but I also got some life business attended to (looking at you DMV and doctor's appointments), went to the museum (more about that later), and had time to just sit in two of my favorite cafes (The Mill, above, and Twentieth Century Cafe, below), eat treats, and watch the world go by. This week is one of the best things I do for myself all year and I feel inordinately glad to have been able to do it just now.


No comments:

Post a Comment