Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Women Abstract Painters


Abstract painting is something I like, but not something, I must confess, I spend a whole lot of time thinking about as a general rule. But recently three painters--one Modern, two Contemporary, all women--have come to my attention in various ways, and now I find I've got vivid abstraction on the brain.

First up, Helen Frankenthaler, a mid-century figure who in my view deserves a lot more attention than she gets, brought to my attention on the fine blog A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words:




Next, Patter Hellstrom, whose work I saw last week at First Thursday and have been thinking about more or less nonstop ever since:





And, finally Michelle Armas, recently pointed out to me by a visually astute colleague. Again, these are the sorts of images that you see, and you like, but that's not the end of it. They keep coming to mind afterwards, so they grow in your brain when you're not looking at them, until you feel compelled to go back and look again to see if what you're remembering so fondly is really there. And it is:





No comments:

Post a Comment