Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Current Joys


The other day on Swiss Miss I came across this quote:

“Talking about our problems is our greatest addiction. Break the habit. Talk about your joys.” -Rita Schiano

It reminded me of all the smart and great things Ingrid Fetel Lee has to say about joy (if you're not getting her newsletter I highly recommend it) and how challenging it can be to focus upon joy. How we think it's selfish or frivolous, especially during hard times (be those hard times personal or global). 

So my dear work-wife Christina and I decided to list our current joys. This feels especially important to me right now as I attempt, not always successfully, to take care of myself with the black dog of grief sitting on my chest. Of course, in keeping with that circumstance, my current joys tend to be rather low-impact, undemanding, comforting sorts of things. They are:

  • Patching a quilt made by my dad that I inherited from my mom and that needs some love, on Sunday mornings, while Bill and Mabel read the Sunday comics out loud
  • Drawing and painting
  • Working on my upcoming talk for Creative Mornings (October!)
  • Contemplating a drastic haircut
  • YA fiction (currently reading: the new Angie Thomas On the Come Up, and listening to The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro)
  • WHALE SHARK LIVE CAM
  • Ice cream at 9pm

No comments:

Post a Comment