Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Closing Open Studio


BIG news around here: I'm shutting down the Open Studio space and moving to a smaller office. The public-facing aspects of Open Studio -- the retail shop, workshops, and co-working -- were an exciting experiment for me to take on and I feel like I've learned a ton. But, frankly, the business hasn't taken off quite as I'd hoped and I simply lack the bandwidth to give it the 110% required to maybe make a go of it (after all, I've got a full-time job at Chronicle Books, a new book of my own to promote next year, a family to nurture, and I'm still very much wrangling with the realities of grief). What I've realized is that having my own space to write and draw and think and create in is really the most important thing for me right now, so it's awesome to have a plan to keep that bit going (that's my new office pictured above). As for the rest, I can only offer my deepest and most heartfelt thanks to everyone who's supported this bananas endeavor from day one -- and that very much includes all of you reading this! The warmth and enthusiasm I've received about taking this wild leap has been little short of staggering. Thank you, thank you. This coming weekend is the last weekend the shop will be open -- come shop Sat and Sun, noon to 5pm at 780 Sutter Street!


No comments:

Post a Comment