Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Unsung Copyright Page


This morning as I was dashing around the house, getting dressed and combing my hair and pulling my bag together, I said to Bill, "Oh no, I don't have a single idea in mind for Publishing Wednesday on the Cabinet today!" and he said "What about something on the copyright page?" and I am not ashamed to admit that I looked at him like he was crazy. Like, isn't that the most boring thing in a book, and would anyone care?


Now, what he had in mind was an explanation of the elements on the page--how all those little numbers mean printings, and that kind of thing--and so, in the absence of any other ideas, I sat down at the computer with a vague notion of putting together some such thing. And maybe I will, someday, but not today. Because today I have gotten enjoyably sidetracked by the quite surprising beauty of this seemingly innocuous and dull little book element.


These are images of pages of results from what happens if you type "copyright page" into google image search. And can I be alone in thinking that they have a quite, breathing elegance all their own?

No comments:

Post a Comment