Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Muppet Magazine


The other day the always excellent Brain Pickings posted the Muppet Star Wars spoof from the fine periodical below--a 1983 issue of Muppet Magazine. Though this was a little before my time (the familiarity of certain other covers posted here lets me know that I was a loyal subscriber in 1985 and 1986), it nevertheless sent me back in that classic Proustian way. Muppet Magazine! Like the set of Sesame Street, those ALA reading posters, and the Espirt catalog, this was part of the seminal visual language of my childhood, a touchstone object over whose pages I would pour for hours. Sure, I read a lot of novels and watched a lot of cartoons in the 80s too, but it was this sort of image-driven printed matter that got into my brain and, I am convinced, turned me into a person who would grow up to want to be a visual book editor. Just saying.







No comments:

Post a Comment