Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Bobble-Headed Art Book Editor Aquires Project from Multi-Hat-Wearing Idiots


Oh my goodness, have I seriously never shared these illustrations here before? The ones where my beloved authors husband-and-wife writer/illustrator team Matthew Swanson and Robbi Behr of Idiot's Books caricature themselves, their agent, and me, and tell the story of how they came to create the Chronicle Books version of their awesome originally-self-published tome of wonder 10,000 Stories? Seriously? Major major oversight on my part! Yikes. You can read the whole story in all its hilarity and glory here, but today on the Cabinet I'm just featuring a few of my favorite highlights.

Above, Matthew and I shake hands on our deal (this is an astral projection handshake since, dear friends though we are, we've never actually met in person) (I think in the original story he's looking up lovingly at either his wife or the giant of industry that is Chronicle, but here I like to imagine he's admiring my blog header).


Like most self-employed artists and writers, Matthew and Robbi wear many hats.


They work really hard.


This is what it looks like when a book editor buys a project from a book agent. Obviously.


And this is how we celebrate.


This is how Robbi celebrates.


Matthew and Robbi also have a whole bunch of kids. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Bridget!! Seeing my mug on your blog is definitely cause for celebration, I think! Must ... find ... whipped ... cream ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so this had me roaring with laughter, especially Robbi strung up with the babies. Haha!!!! Truly clever... dang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvonne, it's true Robbi and Matthew are pretty much comic geniuses! xo b

    ReplyDelete