Friday, June 27, 2014

YCBA // Pier 24 // Cult // Asian // SFMOMA


I have been seeing just a ton of art lately. So much so, in fact, that I find it necessitates a kind of grab-bag Art Friday post today to encompass it all, or else I'd still be telling you in August about the stuff I've seen in the past couple of weeks.

So, here's the scoop--

Above: my favorite piece from the show Public Intimacy: And Other Ordinary Acts in South Africa at the Yerba Beuna Center for the Arts (where you get a discount on your ticket if you're a public transit rider or library card holder!) was this one by Terry Kurgan.


Erica Deeman's solo show at Pier 24 (the first solo show they've ever had there) was stunningly beautiful.
 

I'm a big fan of Michelle Blade's artwork (full disclosure, she's also working on a book for me--yay!) and her recent show at Cult Exhibitions was a pure delight.


And the Gorgous show that the Asian Art Museum has put up in partnership with the SFMOMA gave me a chance to see some favorite SFMOMA pieces I've been missing since they closed down for construction a year ago, engaged in interesting dialogs with some favorite peices from the Asian's collection. Here are a few of my favorite moments in the show:






2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the Asian Museum/SFMOMA show! That last little room with the Rothko was certainly worth seeing. Loved how the works played on each other, and the curator's texts where an interesting read.

    P.S.: It was nice meeting you at ICON8. I thought your talk was very useful. Also, I hope your daughter enjoy my little stickers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana! Agree--it's a fascinating show! So nice to meet you at Icon and thanks so much for the stickers--Mabel loved them! Glad you liked the talk!
    xo
    b

    ReplyDelete