Thursday, January 15, 2015

And So Continues the Long-Running Poem Series About the Spring of 2006



May 22, 2006
One of those mornings where everything went kind of awry

I overslept
I couldn’t wash the stone mortar and pestle properly
too many interstices
(although the smell of the wet rock is rather divine
and reminds me of something forgotten from childhood
the blacktop of the schoolyard after rain maybe?)
and just as I’d finally finished the dishes
I turned around and found a bunch more I’d forgotten
The coffee was too cold and not sweet enough
The music was too quiet

But the sky was so gorgeous it made up for everything
Brilliant crystal blue after yesterday’s pouring rain
with big extra-solid-looking clouds
wool white with dark gray edges and underbellies
The kind of sparkle in the air
that can be neither ignored nor resisted
no matter how cranky you’ve been for the past day and a half
Not that it made me ecstatic or gleeful
but irresistibly elevated my mood by two notches



Image source is here

No comments:

Post a Comment