Friday, November 9, 2018

James Turrell, Three Gems


When I was at the De Young for the Muslim Fashion show the other day I also spent some time in James Turrell's "sky space" Three Gems -- something that, incredibly, almost unbelievably, I had never done before, despite the fact that it's been sitting right there ever since the museum opened in its current building in 2005; despite the fact that I've visited the museum several times a year throughout that entire 13 year period; and despite the fact that I really really enjoy the work of James Turrell. What the heck?! I don't know. I really just don't know. But now I've done it and it was absolutely delightful. It strongly gave me that warm, peaceful, tingly feeling that so much of Turrell's work does. There's a pink terracotta circular path, and a round white minimalist room, and an opening up to the deep blue sky. I like to think maybe that those three spaces/colors are the three gems in question, but of course no one can say for sure.













No comments:

Post a Comment