Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Cocktails I Have Named


The other Friday afternoon a nice coworker of mine who sits two desks away decided to throw a little desk-side party round about 4:30. A cocktail was devised from what could be found on hand in people's desk drawers and the office fridge and the vending machine--

Bulleit Bourbon
A squeeze of orange juice with the wedge thrown in
Rhubarb bitters (from the cookbook editor, natch)
A floater of ginger ale
All served over ice in coffee mugs

Tasty! Winning enough to require a name. And here's something you might not know about me: I love to name cocktails. Let's see, we said, it's kind of like a Manhattan except with orange, rhubarb, and ginger instead of a cherry. Manhattan but with veggies. Like a mix of the city and the country. Hmm. Ah ha! Got it:
The Urban Garden.

A few other drinks I have named over the years that have yet to catch on (though no doubt that day is coming soon!): The Bramble (like a Mimosa or Bellini but with blackberry nectar in place of the OJ or peach); The Nineteenth Hole (an alcoholic Arnold Palmer--someone had to explain a number of golf references to me before I could arrive at that one, but once I did I was quite pleased with myself); The Shirley Temple Black (a Shirley Temple all grown up--aka, with booze in it). I've been thinking lately I might do a little project of drawing illustrations for these beverages. Either that or interviewing people about their morning coffee routines and drawing that. Not that I'm really much of an illustrator, but it would be fun.

2 comments:

  1. rhubarb bitters! that is insane and i must make immediately. hello and lovely blog! xoxo chelsea at http://nowismagic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chelsea! Just popped over and yours is lovely too. Hope you enjoy an Urban Garden soon. xo b

    ReplyDelete