Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Oh You City Ladies!


Today I present you with three books by women about cities.

The first, as you can see just above, I authored. Last year I put together This is Happening: Life Through the Lens of  Instagram and it turns out this authorship thing is a little bit addictive. So this year I have a new one--New York Jackie. I am super duper proud and honored to have assembled this collection of photos from the 30 years Jackie Kennedy Onassis lived in the NYC. Book editor, mom, and everyday style icon, she was such a quintessential New Yorker and her New York years still evoke that easy glamor, that casual sparkle, that, really, don't we all aspire to?


Speaking of New Yorkers, the second book is one I edited, and which hit shelves yesterday. Hello NY is a fabulously idiosyncratic and personal ode to the city by one of its most delightful native daughters, artist and illustrator Julia Rothman. I am pleased as punch to have helped bring this one into the world. Julia wrote an amazing (and, at least to me, rather tear-jerking) account of creating this book over on her blog Book By Its Cover which, in addition to the book itself, I also highly recommend (just maybe skip over the part where I make her cry).


Third and last, a book with which I had basically nothing whatsoever to do--except to stand on the sidelines and cheer as my colleague Christina brilliantly acquired and edited it. But Wendy MacNaughton's Meanwhile in San Francisco is an amazing and riotous ode to the place I love most in the world and so, as many in this town no doubt will experience, I find myself getting a little bit choked up as I peruse it. There's a great piece about it up over on Brainpickings if you'd like to see a sample of Wendy's illustrated stories of the people who make up the City by the Bay.


Basically, not to put too find a point on it, I'm personally of the opinion that you should rush out and buy all three of these fine volumes. All available from Chronicle Books or wherever books are sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment