Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Hearting Civic Center


As I mentioned the other day I am now dropping Mabel off at preschool in the mornings, and doing so has necessitated me finding a new path to work afterwards. My current scheme involves cutting through Civic Center at one point in the route. And I am reminded of something I discovered back last year when I spent a week down around there for jury duty: it's a neck of the woods I really really like. My guess would be that most San Franciscans don't care about it much one way or the other. But to me its monumental buildings and stretches of lawn and alleys of trees and slanting morning sunlight, heck, even it's more derelict aspects, all make it feel like someplace you might stumble upon half by accident while traveling in a city not your own, and then feel so very lucky that you did. If there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that achieving that traveler's sense of serendipitous wonder and rejoicing in your own city is a great gift.



No comments:

Post a Comment