Friday, August 30, 2013

Art Friday Art Round-Up: The Time of the Beautiful People Edition


To my eye today's Art Friday images (all of which have caught my attention online over just the past few days) share a common thread. All three of these pieces evoke, for me, a sort of shimmery nostalgia for a prelapsarian time that never was, when people were impossibly lovely and chic. I know many folks object to the pretty in art, but I am not one of them. It seems to me that there can be as must to see in (or, if you prefer, say about) the pretty as the non-pretty--that the fact of the pretty's prettiness does not preclude (and indeed can itself catalyze) the emergence of complex feelings on the part of the viewer. Anyhow. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The above dress is a sculpture all made out of painted wood (wood!) and is by Ron Isaacs. I owe my knowledge of it to The Jealous Curator.


Above: a photo by Hannes Caspar, as seen on The Fox is Black.

Below: a painting by Roeland Kneepkens, for which we have Artist a Day to thank.


2 comments:

  1. great post. I love that photograph too, I've always loved a full face of freckles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz--i agree, there's something especially about a black and white photo of a freckle-face that gets me every time! xo b

    ReplyDelete