Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Singing Orange


The other day I happened to hear a snatch of the aria "Habanera" from the opera Carmen (even if this does not ring a bell for you, you'd know if if you heard it, for instance here) and it reminded me, as it always an inevitably does, of the singing orange from Sesame Street. This was one of my all-time favorite Sesame Street bits as a child--I loved how the orange puts on all her own facial features (and hair, and earrings) before singing her little orange-y heart out. I hadn't laid eyes on this clip for probably 35 years, but the beauty of the world we live in these days (aka The Future) is that I can summon it up in moments. And it's just as good as I remember. A brilliant bit of stop-motion animation that, rumor has it, was created by Jim Henson--though apparently know one knows for sure. Video is embedded directly below, or can be seen here. You're welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment