Friday, February 22, 2019

The National Gallery, London


The other museum I stopped by when I was briefly in London last month was the National Gallery. Rather than trying to encompass the whole thing (which is nearly impossible anyhow) I just stayed for maybe an hour and hit a few highlights. And what highlights they are!

Above is my new favorite discovery, a detail from a painting by Jean-Etienne Liotard of a little girl with her hair in curling papers, dipping her morning bread into her cup. In a huge building full of often formal pictures, the naturalness of her gesture and quotidian nature of the scene struck me forcibly.


Next, the two Vermeers, which I think may well be two of my favorite pictures on the whole planet.



A newly acquired, and hung in pride of place, thank you very much, Artemisia Gentileschi


A Van Gogh chair


Self-portrait by Elisabeth Louise Vigee Le-Brun


Andre Derain's portrait of Amelie Matisse


And then, of course, a whole bunch of Turners. Good fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment