Thursday, February 23, 2012

Next in the Poem Series About Fall 2005


November 8, 2005
Suddenly realized I never mentioned the autumn colors in Ohio

So strange that I forgot since
besides the blue eggs
the color of those leaves
was my strongest impression of the trip

Let’s be clear
I had never seen this before
And though apparently not as dramatic as New England
it was plenty dramatic enough

Mostly the oranges
The reds and yellows were good too
but we sort of kind of have those here
But we've got nothing like those oranges

each tree with two or three shades
pumpkin and orange-the-fruit
and a dark reddish orange that I can’t quite name
almost approaching tomato soup but not quite that red

Those oranges blaze forward into your eyeballs
Jump out from the surrounding landscape
as though more three-dimensional than other things
Sear themselves onto the back of your brain


image source is here

No comments:

Post a Comment