Monday, October 22, 2012

Out and About


Yep, this is how we dress--in our legwarmers and wooly sweaters--in August in San Francisco. Then we bust our our sundresses in October. I've been thinking about writing a children's book about the California seasons. When I was small I really believed that the seasons as they were presented in picture books were the same as Alice or Eeyore or Lowly Worm: the stuff of fiction. When I read such books to Mabel I try and remember to insert the phrase "on the East Coast" after each explanation of how the leaves change color in autumn or the snow comes in the winter or the rain falls down in the springtime. We go to great lengths to expose our children to books that will accurately reflect their emotional and sociological realities. But what of their meteorological realities, huh? Huh? What about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment