Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Next Entry in the Ongoing Series of Poems About The Winter of 2005


December 15, 2005
I used to see a girl

As I walked to work
maybe one morning out of five

Pretty
with lots of yellow blonde highlights
all over the top of her hair
I did not like her
She struck me as simultaneously self-satisfied
and demeaned
often walking
as she did
with a boring looking older man
who talked and talked
as she grinned at him
Nor did I like her overly polished outfits

But then
a couple of weeks ago
I saw her alone
looking
frankly
stricken
Such a sad face
a completely different face
an I-cried-myself-to-sleep-at-three-in-the-morning face
I imagined a bad break up
or a death
perhaps with or of
the blowhard balding man in the suit
And I found myself feeling bad for her

But the thing is
I haven’t seen her since
And I find that this concerns me
Impossible to track how long it’s been
since that last time we passed in the street
but a while now I’m pretty sure
More than a couple of weeks

And I hope she’s ok
Hope she’s established a new morning routine
(stopped spending the night at old dude’s house for instance)

Turns out you get attached to what recurs
Even in the absence of liking


image source is here

No comments:

Post a Comment